November 9, 2014

November 2014 Birchbox: Unboxing

november 2014 birchbox -- intrice.blogspot.com
November 2014 Birchbox // Photo Credit: intrice.blogspot.com
I just received my box yesterday and I have to say that this is one of the few times that I have been able to get a Birchbox shipped to me so quickly. It shipped Wednesday and arrived Saturday. 

Birchbox + (RED) #shaRED November 2014 Birchbox Outer Cover
// Photo Credit: intrice.blogspot.com
For November, Birchbox also teamed up with (RED), which is a non-profit organization that works towards bringing awareness and raising funds in the fight against AIDS/HIV. You might have heard about (RED) if you are a fan of Bono from U2, he is one of their ambassadors. The outer packaging of your Birchbox this month will be red and labeled with facts about AIDS/HIV. If you share photos of the facts from this special edition Birchbox cover sleeve with hashtag #shaRED on Instagram and Twitter then Birchbox will donate $1 (for each shared photo) to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS Campaign.

Total Cost: $10.00
Actual Value: $31.61

Let's start the unboxing of my November 2014 Birchbox and my reactions.

Amika Nourishing Hair Mask
-- $12.00 Full Size // 60 ml
[ Estimated Value: $4.00 // 20 ml ]

I heard a lot of wonderful praises from Amika's hair care line so when I saw that this was one of the November Pick Your Sample (PYS) choices, I had to get it. The sweet scent is Sea Buckthorn Berry and smells really amazing. I just started getting into the routine of using hair masks to deep condition my hair to repair the damage from dying it so I will definitely put this to good use! 

When I opened the box and saw the sample size of this bottle, I was a bit disappointed though. I thought it would about about as big as the body wash bottle that came in my box. With my hair length, I think I can get at least 2 - 3 uses out of this hopefully and not just 1 use.

november 2014 birchbox amika nourishing mask -- intrice.blogspot.com
Amika Nourishing Mask // Photo Credit: intrice.blogspot.com

Gilchrist & Soames Spa Therapy Body Wash
-- $15.00 Full Size // 8 oz.
[ Estimated Value: about $2.54 // 1.35 oz. ]

The scent is called Stimulating Sea Wrack and I have no idea what that means. I received a body lotion from Gilchrist & Soames in the past and this product has a similar scent of seaweed or ocean. I would equate it to almost being like Bath and Body Works' Cucumber Melon (mostly the cucumber aspect) and The Body Shop's Seaweed skincare line. 

I love discovering new body washes to try so I wasn't unhappy to get one in my box. I don't mind the scent and it reminds me of the scent of aromatherapy type products. I think Gilchrist & Soames mostly sells to the hotel industry so perhaps some of you might recognize them from a previous hotel stay.

november 2014 birchbox gilchrist & soames spa therapy body wash -- intrice.blogspot.com
Gilchrist and Soames Spa Therapy Body Wash // Photo Credit: intrice.blogspot.com

Perlier Absolute Comfort Body Butter - White Almond
-- $34.46 Full Size // 6.7 oz.
[ Estimated Value: $5.14 // 1 oz. ]

I never heard of Perlier Milano before but I am a fan of body butter. For cold weather, I think it works the best in keeping skin moisturized from the dry cold air. The scent for this is in White Almond and it is very sweet and nutty. 

On the back of the bottle it says "Not A Food Product." I guess they had issues in the past with people attempting to eat it?

november 2014 birchbox perlier absolute comfort body butter white almond  -- intrice.blogspot.com
Perlier Absolute Comfort Body Butter in White Almond // Photo Credit: intrice.blogspot.com

Red Flower Illuminating Rose Collagen Renewal Face Serum
-- $86 Full Size // 1 oz.
[ Estimated Value: $17.20 // 3 ml x 2 packets = 6 ml ]

So my first reaction for this is "This is so expensive!" when I saw the price of the full size. This is another brand new to me and from reading the description for the Red Flower Illuminating Rose Collagen Renewal Face Serum, it seems like a cure-all major skin issues. Its main ingredient is whole rose essential oil so it smells like a bouquet of roses. I am happy that Birchbox packed 2 of these packets instead of 1 in my box. :) 
"The antioxidant-rich, vitamin-fueled formula moisturizes, plumps, smooths, and leaves skin with a natural glow." -- from birchbox.com
november 2014 red flower illuminating rose collagen renewal face serum - intrice.blogspot.com
Red Flower Nature Illuminating Rose Collagen Renewal Face Serum // Photo Credit: intrice.blogspot.com

theBalm cosmetics - Cindy-Lou Manizer
-- $23 Full Size // 0.3 oz
[ Estimated Value: $1.53 // .02 oz ]

I was researching theBalm the other day to see how good are their blushes and this was one of the popular recommendations for theBalm's products. It is technically a skin highlighter but can double as a blush or eyeshadow. The sample version came in a small booklet, which I thought was very cute. It looks like I can get many uses out of it despite the small size of the palette.

The Cindy-Lou Manizer is a beautiful peachy pink shade. I am hoping it will show up nicely on my skin when I get a chance to use it.
november 2014 the balm cosmetics cindy lou-manizer - intrice.blogspot.com
theBalm cosmetics' Cindy - Lou Manizer // Photo Credit: intrice.blogspot.com

Bonus Item
Justin's Chocolate Almond Butter
-- $11.99  Full Size // 10 Packets -- 1.15 oz/Packet
[ Estimated Value: $1.20  // 1 Packet  ]

I have not tried any brand of almond butter before so it will be new to me. I do love peanut butter and nutella so who knows, maybe I'll end up liking this chocolate almond butter. I like that it is organic too. ^^ 

From reading forums, there is like a 50/50 split with subscribers who enjoy getting food samples in their Birchbox and those who don't. I actually like getting food items if the size of the snack is generous. It was because of Birchbox that I discovered Larabars. However, I do understand that some people have food allergies and it's like a throwaway item for them if the snack is something they can't eat. What do you guys think about this?

Justin's Chocolate Almond Butter (front) // Photo Credit: intrice.blogspot.com

Justin's Chocolate Almond Butter (back)// Photo Credit: intrice.blogspot,com

What were you most excited about in this month's Birchbox? 
Are there any items you liked from my November Birchbox?  
How do you feel about getting snacks in your Birchbox?

Leave me a comment below or tweet me @intriceblog :)

x Carol


Birchbox is a beauty and skincare subscription service that ships out a box monthly with 4-6 samples available in their online store. Each box costs $10 a month and you can do a monthly or yearly subscription with the freedom to cancel at any time. They also do a subscription box for men too! If you want to join Birchbox, you can sign up here.

1 comment:

Back to Top